Recently published questions and answers

The government platform (Hurdalsplattformen 2021 - 2025) states that the new government will phase out the au-pair scheme. We do not have more information about this yet.

Nei, vanligvis ikke. Utgangspunktet er klart: Helseproblemer gir ikke rett til flyktningstatus og asyl i Norge.

Det finnes likevel unntak. Helseproblemer kan ha betydning for asylvurderingen. Det kan du lese mer om i denne fagartikkelen på

Hvis du er i Afghanistan og tidligere har fått endelig avslag på søknad om beskyttelse eller annen oppholdstillatelse, vil ikke saken din bli vurdert på nytt på grunn av den nåværende situasjonen i Afghanistan.

Verken UDI eller UNE kan hjelpe personer med å komme ut av Afghanistan. Du finner mer informasjon om situasjonen i Afghanistan og søknader om opphold i Norge på UDI sine sider (ekstern lenke).

UNE vil forsøke å prioritere de familieinnvandringssakene vi har til behandling. Vi kan ikke si hvor lang tid det vil ta å gi svar til hver enkelt. Sakene vil bli behandlet etter det vanlige regelverket med de kravene som stilles for å få en tillatelse.

Det er ingen endring i hvem som kan få familieinnvandring fra Afghanistan. Sakene behandles etter det vanlige regelverket med de kravene som stilles for å få en tillatelse. At UNE prioriterer familieinnvandringssaker fra Afghanistan betyr ikke at UNE vil gi en tillatelse i alle saker. 

If you have been expelled from Norway, but you wish to return before the prohibition on entry expires, you can apply to the UDI to have the prohibtion lifted.

You can read more about the application requirements on the UDI's website.

The United Kingdom left the EU on 31 January 2020. British citizens are no longer EU or EEA citizens. Upon withdrawal, it was agreed to have a transitional period until 31 December 2020.

On UDI's website you will find information about Brexit and the rules of entry and stay in Norway for British citizens and their family members. The pages are regularly updated with new information.

  • If your permit is revoked pursuant to section 63 of the Immigration Act, you will lose all of your accrued residence time. This is because all your current and previous permissions are revoked.
  • If your refugee status ceases pursuant to section 37 of the Immigration Act, you will not lose the period of residence time you have accrued up until your permit expires. This means, for example, that previously accrued residence time can be counted in a future claim of permanent citizenship.

If the reference person is a self-employed person and runs a sole proprietorship, the operating profit or taxable income is reckoned as income. When UNE considers whether it is likely that the requirement for future income will be met, we look at documents such as the most recent tax returns, last year’s income statement, updated information about income and expenses, and statements from authorised accountants.

If the reference person has income from a limited liability company, documentation must be provided that a salary has been drawn from the company. When UNE considers whether it is likely that the requirement for future income will be met, we look at documents such as the most recent tax returns, accounts, bank statements, VAT returns and statements from an authorised accountant.

We aim to give you a reply within three weeks. Sometimes it can take longer. You will be told how long we expect it to take at the end of the board hearing. We will send the reply to your lawyer. If it takes a long time, you can phone your lawyer.

No. You must write to us in Norwegian or English.

As long as you live in Norway, you are obliged to notify the police of the address at which you live. If we do not know where you are, your application can be rejected without the case being considered.

No, usually not. If you have applied for protection in one of the countries that participate in the cooperation under the Dublin Regulation, you cannot apply again in another one of these countries. You can only have your case considered in one country. You can read more about this on the UDI's website.


If you believe that there is an error in the decision, that can have had a bearing on the result, you can read about your options on our page If you disagree with UNE’s decision.

If you wait too long before you leave after you have received a positive reply from IOM, you can lose your place in the return programme even if you are waiting for a decision from UNE.  IOM does not have access to information about your case with UNE and doesn’t know that you are awaiting a decision. If you are wondering whether you can wait for our decision without losing your place in the return programme, you must contact IOM.