Only persons working on your case have access to your personal data. Everyone who works in UNE follows strict rules on how to process personal data.

What are personal data?

Personal data are information or assessments that can be linked to you as an individual, such as your name, address, photos and fingerprints. They can also be information about ethnic background or political, philosophical or religious views, that a person has been charged or convicted of a criminal offence, or about health or sexual relationships. Immigration cases contain a large amount of personal data.

How do we process your personal data?

When UNE considers your case, only the persons working on your case have access to your personal data. They have a duty of secrecy and are not allowed to disclose the information to unauthorised persons.

The interpreter does not have access to your personal data in a board hearing other than what is said in the hearing. The interpreter has a duty of secrecy and is not allowed to tell others what was said here. They are never given access to the documents in your case.

We can use your personal data in other cases, for example in a family immigration case in which someone in your family is applying for a residence permit. We are also obliged to disclose information about you to other government agencies when this is requested. This could for example be the UDI, the police or the Norwegian Tax Administration. We can also request that Norwegian foreign service missions provide us with information that may be relevant to your case. An example is asking the foreign service mission to examine whether or not a document is genuine.

Your rights

Yes, you can request access. You do this by sending an email to You must state a postal address that we can send a reply to. We cannot answer your request by email as this is not a secure enough method. You will receive an answer within 30 days.

The answer will contain information about what personal data we have registered about you and how we have processed this data.

If we have registered incorrect or insufficient personal data in a case, you can request that we correct this, for example if we have registered your name wrong or that the address we have registered is incorrect. We will assess such requests specifically in each case.